Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.4.5

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.4.5
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:11:47 +0200

On Montag 18 Mai 2009 13:16:06 Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> As announced on Friday here is the GNUmed 0.4.5 bug fix
> release. Many thanks to our users who found a few bugs.

Thanks to the great work Andreas is doing I was able to quickly supply
packages for various Ubuntu releases.

Every once in a while I google for GNUmed. I am always surprised that it will
come up at a number of places when people are looking for alternatives.

I was even able to find threads that indicate that users we are not aware of
through the mailing list actually have succeeded in getting GNUmed to run in
their machines.

Most of the time they use Ubuntu which is only possible because of the work of
Andreas and the Debian-med team.

But there is another side of the coin as well. When putting in Linux and EMR
into google the interesed searcher is not directed to a site that presents the
FOSS EMRs in a light that would make one try it.

FOSS EMR are as badly represented as possible. There is no room for the 'not
invented here' syndrome. It is a small market and we better make damn sure we
represent the FOSS EMR ecosystem as good as possible.

This primarly involves to allocate ressources at

1.) user friendly packaging
2.) user friendly package distribution
3.) user targeted software descriptions

At GNUmed we have come a long way and even put some serious cash from our own
pockets behind this. Unfortunately not all projects seem to understand this
issue.

Frst they ignore you. Then they will laugh at you. then the fight you. then
you win. FOSS EMR are barely beyond the ignore phase.

Sebastian