Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Possible solution for altering date formats (Debi

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Possible solution for altering date formats (Debian)?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:07:34 -0700

Interesting...

... despite that it was as root that I did dpkg-reconfigure and enabled en_DK.utf8 as the only locale, and set it as the default, when I restarted the computer:

- the bootup echos issued a warning that Postgres had a problem because the server could not be initiated with the locale en_CA.utf8 becuase it did not exist but more interestingly

- the system issued a dialog box advising me that because en_CA.utf8 did not exist, the system default (C ?) would be used.

I am not sure why that would be... maybe something about the locale that was chosen during the installation needs to be kept available.

The gnumed-client could then not connect to the backend... I was issued (no surprise) a message that no server was accepting connections on that socket.

I again ran dpkg-reconfigure locales, included en_CA.utf8 (along with en_DK.utf8) in the locales to be generated, and despite that I did still set en_DK.utf8 as the default, but which seems to be ignored, because after rebooting when I ran

        env

I saw that while LC_TIME was en_DK.utf8 my LANG and GDM_LANG were both still defaulting to en_CA.utf8

So within the current session, as normal user jbusser I did

        LANG=en_DK.utf8
        GDM_LANG=en_DK.utf8

and then

        &> LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8 ./gm-from-cvs.sh

but it still made no difference in GNUmed.

Maybe if postgres is installed as part of the debian installation, something about the original locale becomes a postgres default that requires that locale to remain available even after the system would have its default altered.

Alternatively in the GNUmed client menu

        GNUmed > Options > Database > Language

there exist about five options none of which are en_DK and the widget seems not fully enough yet developed to permit to create New or Edit or Delete.