Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] proper English term needed for medication
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:03:46 -0700

On 2009-10-28, at 3:48 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

The "ongoing" not being in danger of being confused
with "current" ?

Seemingly not... (I asked on a local medical list):

Begin forwarded message:

I agree with your suggestion James - i.e. "ongoing". I also agree that "current" carries the implication of 'subject to change'. Off the top of my head I can't think of a better term.

Chris.

Jim Busser wrote:

A german doctor working on a free EMR asked me:

I am looking for a compound noun which describes drugs/a
drug expected to be taken perpetually, such as hypertensive
agents.

In German we say "Dauermedikament". A literal translation
could be "permanent medication".

At my suggestion – which is "ongoing medication" – he asked

Is there much danger of confusion with "Current medication"?

My answer would be no, but I figured best to run past people who would come at this question more blindly. To me, current medications would include those that may be intended to be stopped (such as a course of antibiotics or anti-inflammatories). To me, current medications would consist of:

- short-term
- ongoing

plus, of course, "not intended to be ongoing, despite that somehow the patient has continued it, or ended up back on it"

Does the concept better need some term better than "ongoing"?