Billing in the USA with OpenEMR (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUm

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Billing in the USA with OpenEMR (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:59:06 -0700

On 2009-10-22, at 1:36 AM, Jim Busser wrote offlist:

Just so you know... it occurred to me that the people running the American FLOSS project "WorldVista" might not have their own billing solution and sure enough their project page describes the possibility of WorldVista having *interfaces* to lab results systems and billing.

The update is that open-source OpenEMR performs billing and is sufficiently modularized that with only a bit of extra work could be installed without having to install or at least without having to fully configure all of OpenEMR if the desire was to just use OpenEMR's billing.

This would allow an EMR that was being used in the United States (say, WordVista or GNUmed) to supply to OpenEMR whatever it needed (via Mirth) and OpenEMR could then perform whatever additional processing and transfer of billing information to outside agencies would be required.

Shared with me was a PDF setting out the relevant tables in OpenEMR that would desire patient, and insurer, and provider and fee and diagnostic information. It involves around 10 tables each of 5 to 30 rows but it is possible that not every value has to be supplied by the upstream EMR.

Let me know if anybody needs / wants more information.