Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:30:24 -0700

On 2009-10-17, at 9:22 AM, Slappinjohn wrote:

Implementing a complete billing system, maybe for the german health
system, wont work without many, many hours of programming :( and it
won't work for other countries, but a billing system, everybody can
design the way he needs, is worth thinking about...

There are many approaches, some of which we talked about before.

We do have on the wiki some descriptions of how a *separate* billing program can work with GNUmed. I have already emailed the list about that during the past few months.

There is a simple (very limited) functionality that -- once we would get printing more tidily handled -- could be completed as a small project inside GNUmed. However that functionality would IMO be suitable only for situations where a patient would pay directly, exactly for the individual charges *or* where the simple functionality would be enhanced to pass items *unidirectionally* to an outside program. This is because even before any complexity of electronic file transmissions to outside payers (or government) could be considered, the schema would have to handle multiple accounts and variable payments per patient.

If new usage of GNUmed awaits Karsten to write a billing program such new users would be waiting a long time.

Can these new interested people be helped to better understand the kind of dialog they need to open with their local vendors?