Re: SOLVED: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with bootstrap and recovery

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: SOLVED: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with bootstrap and recovery
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:06:01 +0100

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:57:11PM -0200, Rogerio Luz Coelho wrote:

> Ok I'll recolect my steps just so it looks good on future searches.

Thanks.

> The problem occured in a fresh install of Debian Lenny's PostgreSQL-8.3
> server (postgresql-8.3 family packages)

Under Lenny, the system still used a non-utf8 locale. In
later versions of Debian this was switched to utf8 so things
should work out of the box.

> After install the Postres server automatically creates a "main" cluster
> witch inherits the LC_CTYPE of the system, the problem is that it does not
> have support for many of the locales the usual Lenny system has, as an
> example, my "pt_BR" system got Postgres to make a "LATIN1" cluster.

Correct.

> How to fix this:
>
> 1)Change your LC-CTYPE to 'C'
> ~# export LC_CTYPE=C

As Jerzy pointed out it'd be beneficial to use UTF-8. What I
don't know is whether that will bring about any problems on
Lenny. It shouldn't though.

Make sure you've got the locales-all package installed ;-)

> 2) Uninstall postgresql-8.3
> ~# aptitude purge postgresql?

After a full backup (as Jerzy pointed out) and
/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 stop

        pg_dropcluster

is your friend. pg_lsclusters will tell you more.

> 3) Reinstall postgresql-8.3
> ~# aptitude install postgresql-8.3

        pg_createcluster

> 4) Edit again the /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf file to include the
> information as in the GNUmed wiki :
> http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ConfigurePostgreSQL
>
> 5) Restart postgresql
> ~# /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart
>
> 6) Now you can just restore a Backup and then adjust the db settings:
> ~# sh /GNUmed-v11.1/server/gm-adjust_db_settings.sh

:-)

Please do read the file that script creates because it
contains a few hints as to some settings which cannot
technically be modified during running of this script ...

I improved this script to also give some indication of the
lc_ctype and server_encoding :-)