Re: [Gnumed-devel] visual progress notes

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] visual progress notes
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:36:57 +0100

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:07:35PM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:

> > > I seem to not comprehend how this works. I observer that there is a
> > > button templates and a button file.
> > >
> > > Pressing the button template did not invoke any action.
> >
> > Because no template was yet selected in the phrasewheel
> > *above* the two buttons.
>
> That is correct. However one needs to know that this is the way it is
> supposed
> to be. The button should then maybe read Open (above) template.
> Or if one hit Return after using the phrasewheel the action could be invoked
> as well. Maybe it already is.

It is not. I agree this area could be more intuitive. I am
not sure how, though, given the tight space constraints.

An option would be a single [New] button which pops up a
small dialog allowing for selection from a template or from
a file.

> > > Upon closing nothing changed in the user interface.
> >
> > Sure, because you didn't edit the template. GNUmed decreed
> > that there's no use saving an unmodified template to the EMR
> > of the patient. Users will need to decide whether that's
> > useful or not. Maybe GNUmed should ask what to do ?
> >
> Are you sure about that ?

wxpython/gmNarrativeWidgets.py:

def edit_visual_progress_note(filename=None, episode=None,
discard_unmodified=False, doc_part=None):

        if discard_unmodified:
                original_stat = os.stat(filename)
                original_md5 = gmTools.file2md5(filename)

        if discard_unmodified:
                modified_stat = os.stat(filename)
                # same size ?
                if original_stat.st_size == modified_stat.st_size:
                        modified_md5 = gmTools.file2md5(filename)
                        # same hash ?
                        if original_md5 == modified_md5:
                                _log.debug('visual progress note (template) not
modified')
                                # ask user to decide
                                msg = _(
                                        u'This visual progress note was created
from a\n'
                                        u'template in the database rather than
from a file\n'
                                        u'but the image was not modified at
all.\n'
                                        u'\n'
                                        u'Do you want to still save the
unmodified\n'
                                        u'image as a visual progress note into
the\n'
                                        u'EMR of the patient ?'
                                )
                                save_unmodified = gmGuiHelpers.gm_show_question
(
                                        msg
                                        _('Saving visual progress note')
                                )
                                if not save_unmodified:
                                        _log.debug('user discarded unmodified
note')
                                        return

> That is true only for the template , correct ?

Yes.

> > > Chosing a file via the file dialog did bring up the file and display it
> > > to the left once I had closed gwenview.
> >
> > Yep, because if you chose it from the filesystem it likely
> > is a one-time photograph of, say, a wound or rash which
> > likely doesn't need editing - it can speak for itself.

That is also why GNUmed asks before deleting the original
from the filesystem if the note was created from a local
file. If it was created from a template the exported
temporary file gets deleted without further ado.

> > That would work, too, but it would disrupt the logical scope
> > of the action buttons below. Which may not be a big deal if
> > adjusted appropriately. One would lose the ability to view
> > an image alongside a notelet, however.
> >
> I guess the only reason why I am asking the the current window size which
> makes it a bit small and not exactly user friendly.

I know. I am open to more functional layouts. If users deem
it too small we'll make it a notebook tab. In fact, then
we'll make one tab per image.

> > There's always the draggable splitter between the notebook
> > and the textuals.
> >
> This one is easily overlooked and a PITA to grab.

I have no idea how to improve that.