Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:09:47 +0200

Am Dienstag 29 Juni 2010, 22:27:29 schrieb Jim Busser:
> On 2010-06-29, at 2:39 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> > OS X it uses a completely different mechanism.
> > The best way to install pg on a mac is using the source and building
> > it. The start script should be in /Library/StartupItems
>
> Thanks, I have gotten rid of
>       /Library/PostgreSQL8/data/pg_hba.conf
> and kept
>       /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf

I had the same situation and remove the complete folder.

> but as to /Library/StartupItems I have no such directory, and in
> /System/Library/StartupItems there is only \vpnagentd
>
> and there is nothing for me to choose in Apple > System Preferences >
> Accounts > Login items, and the command "psql" gives "command not found",
> so I wonder whether the enterprisedb failed to install needed scripts?

This is not out of the world. If you want to clean up completely do this

http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/1437.page
post by Sachin_S

> Despite no StartupItems, the command
>
>       sudo SystemStarter start PostgreSQL
>
> gave me the following
>

> <verbatim>
> sudo: cannot get working directory
> shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
> parent directories: No such file or directory Starting PostgreSQL database
> server
> job-working-directory: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot
> access parent directories: No such file or directory shell-init: error
> retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No
> such file or directory sh: /Library/PostgreSQL8/bin/pg_ctl: No such file
> or directory
> MacBook:log djb$
> </verbatim>

I have seen this before. This is a permission problem. In the shell script it
wants to get some info (cwd = current working directory) and fails because of
very strange sudo configuration on Apple. I had the same problem with the
bootstraper. Some create use of cli switches was neccessary.

> so I am not sure whether to
>
>       try to fix manually
>
>       retry Enterprisedb installation

Remove it *completely* Reinstall completely and observere if it creates in
your Application folder a number of shortcuts for starting and stoping. Try
starting the included pgadmin3 to verify that the server is up and running.

>       assume E...db is defective and instead install (MacPorts)
>               postgresql84-server
>       which is not yet installed

This is an option. I would not recommend this for the general public as it
will fail often since manual configuration is in order and i wonder if the set
it up to start as a service , let alone set a password for postgres.

Sebastian