Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system h

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:27:29 -0700

On 2010-06-29, at 2:39 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

> OS X it uses a completely different mechanism.
> The best way to install pg on a mac is using the source and building
> it. The start script should be in /Library/StartupItems

Thanks, I have gotten rid of
        /Library/PostgreSQL8/data/pg_hba.conf
and kept
        /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf

but as to /Library/StartupItems I have no such directory, and in
/System/Library/StartupItems there is only
         \vpnagentd

and there is nothing for me to choose in Apple > System Preferences > Accounts
> Login items, and the command "psql" gives "command not found", so I wonder
whether the enterprisedb failed to install needed scripts? Despite no
StartupItems, the command

        sudo SystemStarter start PostgreSQL

gave me the following

<verbatim>
sudo: cannot get working directory
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: No such file or directory
Starting PostgreSQL database server
job-working-directory: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot
access parent directories: No such file or directory
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: No such file or directory
sh: /Library/PostgreSQL8/bin/pg_ctl: No such file or directory
MacBook:log djb$
</verbatim>

so I am not sure whether to

        try to fix manually

        retry Enterprisedb installation

        assume E...db is defective and instead install (MacPorts)
                postgresql84-server
        which is not yet installed