Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Unhandled exceptions emails don't show up at gnum

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Unhandled exceptions emails don't show up at gnumed-bugs
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 00:34:13 +0100

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 02:21:55PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> > Could it be that GNUmed doesn't have rights to use port 25
> > outgoing on this machine ?
>
> It may be port blocking by the ISP (see clipping below, between *****   *****
> )

It very much is unless you've got the spectacularly brilliant

        "Shaw Business Internet services using a static IP address
         and DOCSIS modem"

> ... would either of the following be feasible solutions?
>
> 1) allow in GNUmed (or in the conf file) to specify a port other than 25 for
> error reports or

That won't work because GMX won't listen on any other port
(just like any other SMTP provider in this world).

> 2) allow in GNUmed (or in the conf file) to specify for error reports to be
> addressed
>
>       from a specified sender email userid
>               (could be part of each user's profile)
>
>       via a mail server that is to be used for SMTP
>               (in my case mail.shawcable.com)

While both adjustments are technically possible and would
solve the problem they are very likely to help much because
the chances of them being applied are somewhat low. Solution
1) would also *require* solution 2) along with it for the
reason stated above.