Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed client 0.9.2 Notes plugin "active problems" co

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed client 0.9.2 Notes plugin "active problems" column improvements
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:12:26 -0700

On 2011-04-10, at 1:54 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote (in reply to Jim's):

>> However, when the problem presently *is* the Health Issue, i am finding the
>> left-arrow distracting.
>
> I have discussed this with a long-term user. She did not
> find it distracting

She may be accustomed to it now. My delays to implementation do not permit me
to get accustomed. :-)

> but had a slightly different
> interpretation of the meanings in that list:
>
> This interpretation only worked
> when there was no problem of
> type episode with an associated health issue:
>
> Last          Problem                         Health issue
> 7/2010                poor control            Diabetes

… IOW the column name ("Health Issue") contains an explicit value only when the
active problem (at left) is an episode inside an identified Health Issue.

> However, we decided that we *can* make the column headers more concise:
>

> Last          Problem                         In health issue

I like the "In" health issue

> 11/2010               flu                                     0
> 12/2010               Hypertension            <==
> 7/2010                poor control            Diabetes

When an episode is so-far unattributed, it is only not yet inside a health
issue because a diagnosis has not yet been made. In the case of active but
as-yet-unexplained episodes, I think it is important to be thinking about what
undiagnosed Health Issue may be the cause, and so instead of

> Last          Problem                         In health issue
> 11/2010               flu                                     0

I would favour

> 11/2010               flu                                     ?

- - - - - - - -

When the Problem *is* the Health Issue (and the two values are therefore the
same), the default would be to list the same text side by side in the two
columns and what we are wrestling with is the best way to say "these are the
same".

So while I regret it, the unidirectional arrow will still confuse new people.

I still like the ellipses …  which say "we are omitting (to redundantly repeat)
the Health Issue however if this is unacceptable what about one of these
alternatives

↔ which is Unicode 2194 (UTF8: E2 86 94) LEFT RIGHT ARROW
⇔ which is Unicode 2D4 (UTF8: E2 87 94) LEFT RIGHT DOUBLE ARROW
↲ which is Unicode 21B2 (UTF8: E2 86 B2) DOWNWARDS ARROW WITH TIP LEFTWARDS