[Gnumed-devel] Translatable database strings from within the client

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Translatable database strings from within the client
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:52:04 -0700

The client offers

        GNUmed > Master data > Manage lists > String translations in the
database > (select language, e.g. en_CA)

which opens a dialog with window title

        Showing translatable strings for target language en_CA

and controls

        Cancel  New Edit Delete Contribute

Questions:

1) what function does 'New' serve if we are talking something that does not
even yet exist in GNUmed?

2) when a praxis would make translations, are these being read / written to the
.po file that resides in 9what is potentially) their own user directory

        [...]/client/po/

making another file that users need to ensure that they preserve across new
client downloads?

3) when some newer version of a translation file becomes available from the
VCS, the user will presumably need to merge the diffs and is there any
suggested best way of doing that?

4) am I perhaps the first to test the "contribute" button?

        (in git head, it triggers an unhandled exception
                --> let me know if you need it)

-- Jim