Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data packs naming

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data packs naming
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:42:48 -0700

2011/9/10 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
What is it that is hoped to be achieved by that ?

Karsten

The naming proposal is because there will exist potentially many packs.

Where these contain varying sets of data – but otherwise exactly the same kind of content (simply different by country) – then they should be positioned one below the other (grouped together) in the GNUmed GUI list, differentiated only by country name.

For example, I have already produced packs of generic (unbranded) substance, in two cases country-specific (Canada and US) and also generated sets of substances in other languages – French, German using INN names – with the limitation that the set of drugs and pre-manufactured dosages that *happen* to be available in Canada may not be the same in other countries.

I also generated an English INN set, because English-speaking countries other than Canada and the US use, for example, the INN name 'paracetamol' and not 'acetaminophen'. Until we would have country-specific sets of consumable substances, those from Canada / US are likely to at least significantly overlap what is available in other countries. That reduces the need for entry from the keyboard (and potentially spelling inconsistencies needing later merging).

It is possible to make the case that consumable substances do not even need to be country-specific. They could be a superset of what is available across the world, because it could be possible to have a patient who brought with them (or even obtained, from in-country) medication from another country.

So anyway, we are already talking 4-5 packs, plus TALLman, and I am now working on some branded drug packs. Combined with branded drug packs that others might contribute, we could be easily talking a half dozen or dozen *branded* drug packs.

IOW, after we would add packs like ICD9 ICD10 LOINC etc,  a dozen or more total packs in the list.

-- Jim