Re: [Gnumed-devel] Surveying 'real users' (was Re:switching tabs in demo

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Surveying 'real users' (was Re:switching tabs in demog notebook)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:49:05 +0100

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:49:53PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> What role shall we give to 'real users' who do not interact with the people
> on the list?
>

> This leaves only those 'real users' who are in contact with no-one among us.
>
> What 'voice' and what importance shall we assign to them, in decision-making,
> if we cannot contact them, and if they do not contact us?

Well, technically speaking, you are entirely correct - they
don't "have" a voice (since they decide to not raise one).

All I am being thoughtful of is that we should take good
care in doing well-reasoned changes lest we "alienate" users
more than what is reasonable by changes in the GUI they have
become accustomed to.

> So how it could work is
>
> - client queries 'what is the current v of the database? --> v16
> - client queries 'what v of the database issued a feedback prompt?' --> null
> default
> - if db_v_feedback is NULL or db_v_feedback < v_current
>       --> set db_v_feedback to v16 and do not repeat until v17
>       --> launch URL
>
> (here is a simple candidate Google docs form:
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dExTVGFral95eWFLSTQ1RHZ5MFF1Q2c6MQ#gid=0
> )
>
> I think once per db upgrade (which is only about 2x per
> year) is not excessive. The worst that can happen is people
> ignore and close the window. Even so (e.g. if there is
> screaming) a config option could be developed if it were
> desired to enable to avoid this prompt.
>
> Thoughts?

The approach is reasonable.

I am not adverse to accepting a patch :-)

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de