Re: [Gnumed-devel] Automatic patient 'titles' (Mr, Ms) redundant to assi

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Automatic patient 'titles' (Mr, Ms) redundant to assigned
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:31:05 +0000

On 2011-11-27, at 2:23 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> No, Jim and I did not invent the rules.
>
> I know.
>
> Rules in German are different (and I bet other languages use
> different rules yet).
>
> We'll see what can be done. I'll try to factor out the
> order to translators.

In China, people are referred to as

        Surname Firstname

causing many westerners to misunderstand the name of the actress in Crouching
Tiger, Hidden Dragon

        Zhang Ziyi

(first name = Ziyi) who, when she began working more with North American
filmmakers, became better known as Ziyi Zhang.

Separately, one reason I believe that (in GNUmed) we came to the name display
format

        Surnames, Firstnames

is because the comma efficiently permits to distinguish a transition or
separation.

One option for the display within GNUmed could be

        Surnames, Firstnames, Title

Another could be a configurational item.

All of the above is separate from printing, wherein the distinct placeholder
'title' allows flexible placement.

-- jim