Re: [Gnumed-devel] database replication with bucardo

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] database replication with bucardo
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:22:00 +0200

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 01:11:45PM +0200, Slappinjohn wrote:

> >>    ref | loinc_staging
> >>    ref | atc_staging
> >
> > Those need not be replicated. They are staging tables. Can
> > Bucardo ignore tables ?
>
> Bucardo just replicates the tables you want it to replicate, so yes.

Ah, good. Since we usually use staging.* now I'll check
whether those tables can be removed for good.

> >> however one thread poster commented that the above had
> >> failed to list out tables whose (only) constraint was a
> >> foreign key reference.
> >
> > Which is not wanted here either because a foreign key
> > constraint need not be unique.
> >
> > So I guess we are in good shape.
>
> I can't completely agree. As it seems bucardo will only replicates
> tables with pushdelta method who have a primary key. Even if there are
> unique keys you'll have to use a fullcopy method. So the setup is a
> little more complicated as I thought before.

If you find any tables w/o a PK which need to be replicated
- tell me and we'll add a PK to them.

> e.g. bucardo complains about all the audit.log* tables for not having a
> primary key -- I think they need to be replicated, aren't they?

It depends on what you want to achieve.

If you don't need the complete change history on each server
you don't need to replicate them at all (but they must
exist) for GNUmed to function properly. GNUmed does not
depend on any specific content within them. Maybe if you
give a more detailed description on what you attempt to
achieve we can better decide what to do about them.

Also, how does Bucardo insert data into target tables ?  By
running SQL against them or by some lower level method ?

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de