Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demo data

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Demo data
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:35:42 +0200

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 05:14:37PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> > bootstrapping w/o the demo data is not *that*
> > easy to achieve - it is either all or nothing. Just removing
> > some or all of the obvious test data files in the early
> > bootstrapping process will lead to errors later on during
> > the process because that will add some data which hasn't
> > been separated out (and can thus not as easily be removed
> > from the process) which depends on the earlier data to be
> > available.
>
> Maybe the following is wrong, but I would expect updates/upgrades to do the
> following
>
> 1) alter the database structure (adding, modifying or
>  dropping tables and columns) and adding, modifying or
>  dropping constraints) and

> 2) modify certain existing data in order to fix errors or
>  to permit the alterations of data structure in (1)

That is correct. I *think* I took that approach most of the
time but can't vouch for it to be true everywhere ATM.

Hence I hinted at trying to

a) remove the test*.conf
b) bootstrapping
c) report what happens

And as long as we haven't ironed that out I don't suggest we
tell people all too prominently to undertake a).

> It is also possible that certain commands will attempt to
> alter *all* data of a certain kind. Maybe, as you suggest,
> the bootstrapper will fail. However, since the failure will
> occur as part of an attempt to create a mostly-empty
> database, after the dbadmin had first disabled the import of
> various test files, the point of failure should be simply
> enough detectable from the logs and inform any appropriate
> adjustments to the bootstrapper, yes?

Maybe not always "simply enough", but, yes, it should be
found in the logs and fixable one way or the other.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de