Re: [Gnumed-devel] Spell-checking

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Spell-checking
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 16:12:42 +0000

On 2013-07-05, at 3:38 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
 wrote:

>> Can anyone think of ways to be able to have spell-checking inside GNUmed?
>>
>> Can OS-level spell-checking get "inside" GNUmed
>
> We already have that. … [some] phrasewheels …
> suggestions ... when there's no other suggestions

I understand how the failure to match an existing phrase serves as kind of a
spell check, Of course, this assumes the words used in the existing phrase
contained no errors.

> It doesn't make much sense to blanket enable spell checking
> because we tend to write a very cursory language so that
> many things will be marked for checking (if that were
> easily possible in a normal text control).

This too I concede, though our abbreviations and acronyms cause medical records
people to cringe.

> However, it may make sense to splice spellchecking
> into particular workflows at particular points.
>
> Tell me exactly where you would want to see spelling
> being checked and we can devise ways to do so.

I am lost in this thread, because I cannot see that GNUmed has ever made any
spelling suggestions. Perhaps it does so only in Linux? On Mac OS (in X11), no
words are shown in colour, nor underline squiggles, nor dialog prompts, ever.

The places where I would suggest consideration of spell checking are:

1. free text placeholders
- because the input is typically destined for correspondence that is intended
to be sent out of the praxis

2. SOAPu notes (e.g. in the SimpleNotes plugin)
- I just realized that SimpleNotes are the perfect place to create, inside
GNUmed, text that can both
(i) be easily viewed later in the context of other SOAP entries, while at the
same time
(ii) being re-usable as text in outgoing communication.

3. SOAP (s o a p) notes
- some people who do not need their notes to be read by others in the praxis,
or people outside the praxis (patients or other colleagues) may not care about
this, however I think correct spelling is important mainly because misspelt
words can cause errors as much as they look bad. So, it would be nice to have
the option. I can ignore superfluous suggestions when visually scanning for
those highlighted words which would be an embarassment (because my typing is
poor) to keep in the record. Maybe if this could have a prefernce setting
on/off, that could gain the community's agreement.

-- JIm