Re: [Gnumed-devel] psql upgrade

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] psql upgrade
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:59:45 +0000

On 2013-11-24, at 9:39 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> To me the above is sufficiently asthetic as to very well
> serve its purpose while CSV data can be utterly unhelpful
> (it is not primarily intended for human consumption, for
> one thing).
>
> I suppose getting the information at all wins over
> prettily formatting it.

I agree aesthetics are not the important attribute.

I agree the first method is likely preferred for diagnostic (troubleshooting)
purposes. When the output involves less than about a dozen columns, it is easy
to read. Either way, it has the added advantage of including the column names
within the output.

With the second method, I saw no option to include column names. I agree it's
best suited to exporting data (especially many rows) intended to be transferred
into some other SQL table (say, via COPY FROM) or to be more easily importable
into something like a spreadsheet.

-- Jim