Re: [Gnumed-devel] psql upgrade

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] psql upgrade
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 20:42:22 +0000

On 2013-11-24, at 9:59 AM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree the first method is likely preferred for diagnostic (troubleshooting)
> purposes. When the output involves less than about a dozen columns, it is
> easy to read. Either way, it has the added advantage of including the column
> names within the output.

When supplying instructions to users who may be unfamiliar with psql (such as I
used to be), an instruction like the following is even simpler and avoids the
person having (within psql) to set an output file and then locate the directory
in which that file had been written:

        Open a command-prompt (terminal) session.
        Tpe in the following, and copy/paste what is returned into an email to
me:

        psql -U gm-dbo -d gnumed_v19 -c 'select * from audit.log_episode where
pk = 555;'

-- Jim