Re: [Gnumed-devel] GUI active encounter panel

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GUI active encounter panel
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 23:36:26 +0100

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 06:54:14PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> First, it results in a dialog that the user must then
> acknowledge and dismiss. However, since there is no "undo",
> the only purpose of this dialog is to let the user know that
> the click was "effective". But this could be silently
> observed simply by seeing the new time stamp, and also by the
> status line at bottom left which will have refreshed to say
>
>       "Started a new encounter for the active patient."

True enough but given that the user manually initiated
starting a new encounter it seems likely the encounter
details need editing.

> Second, it requires many steps to change the type of the
> newly-created encounter.

Many as in about 2 or 3, yes.

> As far as making it easier to change the type of the encounter, can we do one
> or more of the following:
>
> (1) on opening the list of encounters, can it auto-scroll
> to the bottom item (i.e. to the "active" encounter) -- this
> will make it less work to access the button to edit the
> active encounter

The active encounter does not _have_ to be the bottom-most
one. There's a button to one-click-edit the active encounter.

> (2) when the "Edit active" button is chosen, can the focus
> be set into the encounter type field, and can this field's
> text be auto-selected?

Most of the time one will want to edit the summary when
editing an existing encounter, encounter type is a likely
second, I agree.