Re: [GNUnet-developers] namespace

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] namespace
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:29:56 +1000

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:59:23 -0500
Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you put the host id in the path, it is pretty clear from whom the
> content is coming from (host-id is in some sense equivalent to an IP).
> OTHO, publishing an urn does not imply that the content came from that
> entitiy, just that that entity is aware of the content. Still this makes
> you a slightly more visible target for a legal attack (which may be ok
> in the software distribution scenario).

I think an analgy would be a hyperlink on the www, the hyperlink is
controled by the owner of the web page, and inderectly the domain name
owner, but thw content the hyperlink points to could be owned by anyone.

The content may still be found by searching, its just less convenient.

Still, we all know what happened to 2600 for creating a hyperlink that
pointed to decss.

Glenn