RE: [GNUnet-developers] Found a related project

From: Jan Marco Alkema
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] Found a related project
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:24:10 -0700

Hi Tom,

> http://udpp2p.sourceforge.net/

>Doesn't sound quite so sophisticated as GNUnet or Freenet, I presume
that means it has some shortcoming due to that.

"This project aims to build a working model of a UDP P2P network, which
utilises spoofed source addresses and broadcast mechanisms to keep the
sharers identity secret."

Could be difficult for network tracing? You can't resolve where the network
packet came from.

>And btw, you again seem to miss the point of GNUnet's AFS: provide
anonymity. (s)ftp won't give you that.

I don't believe that AFS provides anonymity. Core switches, etc. can trace
all packets on the Internet. I know that "gnunet-convert" comes from
62.131.97.197 to me (217.120.174.15). Gnunetd on 62.131.97.197 can try to do
some anonymity by not sending it instant to me, but send it to another
gnunet peer. This peer sends it to me. Better anonymity should be sending
the block random to x peers not me (217.120.174.15), but network traces can
give the infomation where the file is coming from!

>Perhaps either the people involved hadn't heard of GNUnet (or weren't
aware just how far it has got now) and might prefer to direct their
attention to helping us instead, or alternatively, perhaps both our
projects could learn something from each other.

>perhaps both our projects could learn something from each other

Seems a good suggestion to me ---)

Greetings Jan Marco