RE: [GNUnet-developers] Found a related project

From: jan marco alkema
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] Found a related project
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:06:32 +0200

Hello Krista,  Tomble, Christian,

Thank you for the feedback on anonymous file sharing concepts --) Next week
I have time to study it.

>There are numerous other p2p systems without anonymity, that are
faster and have gigantic user bases (and the higher amount of content
that comes with them). They would be better to use.

I believe more in 1 file sharing system. It could be programmed as "service"
on Linux and Windows machines like ftp. Depending on attributes of the files
(cds/Dvds) in database different type of file sharing will be used. End
users can set the attributes, depending on the risk they would take (>Being
thrown into a prison for longer than armed robbers for writing software, on
setting foot in a foreign country?).

There are in my view 4 types of file sharing:

1) not anonymous file sharing like ftp (# wget
ftp://192.168.0.112/pub/* --passive-ftp
)

2) not anonymous file sharing with online encryption (# wget
ftp://192.168.0.112/pub/*  --passive-ftp --sslcertfile=FILE --sslcertkey=KEY
FILE )

3) not anonymous file sharing with batch encryption (wget + gnunet
encryption routines + fshcron.c).

4) anonymous like gnunet

My biggest problem with gnunet is that I should insert all my files to share
it with others on the Internet. I have all my shared data two times on my
computer! I rather like the concept of putting it on the gnunet network only
on demand. Someone wants a particular part of my "shared" information. If I
like that person then I insert it in the gnunet network. After transferring
the information it should be released in my database. N.B. I have no problem
with meta data in my database. Meta data can be the fingerprints of files,
application, releases of applications, etc.

I have tried to port fshcron.c to Windows. It compiles, but does not work
yet. I must write equivalent procedures in MSC++ for not supported Linux
library procedures.

I can work hard to do it right way, but I can better learn from other
project how they port it to Windows. Wget, mysqld, www.grub.org, have MSC++
ports --)

Fshcron.c will be my program to install necessary programs on Windows and
Linux. It should be compiled in Linux, MSC++ and Cygwin.

If I look to MySQL they have two different programs. Linux + Cygwin ("Linux
to Windows port") source code and MSC++ source code for Windows.

All other programs I want to "program" separate from each other. Two
versions (Linux/Cygwin and MSC++). A program = a process in Linux/Windows.
The programs (processes) work together in a shared (MySQL) database. N.B.
Fshcron.c will install these programs on the different platforms. New
version will be installed automatically.

I someone has better ideas, please let me know ---),

Appendix A: wget file transfer (type 1):

# wget ftp://192.168.0.112/pub/* --passive-ftp

--11:40:37--  ftp://192.168.0.112/pub/*
           => `.listing'

Connecting to 192.168.0.112:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!

==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub ... done.
==> PASV ... done.    ==> LIST ... done.

    [ <=>  ] 70            68.36K/s

11:40:38 (68.36 KB/s) - `.listing' saved [70]

Removed `.listing'.

--11:40:38--  ftp://192.168.0.112/pub/depot.tar.gz

 => `depot.tar.gz.31'

==> CWD not required.

==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR depot.tar.gz ... done.
Length: 6,396,635

100%[=] 6,396,635      1.16M/s    ETA 00:00

11:40:43 (1.16 MB/s) - `depot.tar.gz.31' saved [6396635]