[GNUnet-developers] Propose new feature - Search Indexer WebService for

From: SMoratinos
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Propose new feature - Search Indexer WebService for GNUnet
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 21:48:07 +0100

Hello Gnunet Developers,

I consider Gnunet for few days, firstly great work and thank you for the documentation. As Java developer, I could appreciate the gnunet-java api quality code.

I'm not familiar with P2P network, thanks for all your publications and talks, it's very interesting.

I propose a new feature, I hope to get feedback before I actually started development.
Don't hesitate to tell me if my idea is useless or bad.

-----------
Observations:

 - Research (file-sharing) on gnunet are not easy or not fast.
- GNUnet doesn't propose research, I must know the keywords. Sometimes, I don't know what to look for? - I can't search when I'm disconnected from gnunet's network, for example from my smartphone.
 - I don't have notification, for new content ?

But what it lacks (in my opinion) in gnunet networks ? a Google-like for GNUnet. A webservice who indexes the search result for gnunet network.

-----------
What I propose:

I would like an alternative to gnunet's anonymous file search.
I would like a central public web interface as an alternative search.
GNUnet's users use the standard search gnunet-fs-search but if they wish to perform these searches via a central server they can. This is faster but the anonymity of the research is no longer guaranteed.

The idea is to have several web server dedicated to the research on gnunet's network. These servers can be specialized in one type of content, why not. We can imagine friends, create a web server to reference a Search Indexer WebService for GNUnet Private F2F mode.
This enabled to have notifications of new content.
Example: I get a notification on my smartphone:
from: John
keyword: holydays_2012_10_nigeria, images, jpeg, album
uri: gnunet://fs/chk/........

This is only for the search not for the download.

-----------
Two methods:

- The future web server "Search Indexer WebService for GNUnet" is connected to the network and indexes only GNUnet search results, non-optimal solution. - Or allows gnunet-publish (optional) to record information (chosen among keyword, namespace, etc ...) on a web server via a simple rest api, The server isn't connected to the gnunet's network. The best solution in my opinion.

This assumes that the user interfaces (gnunet-gtk, and other in the futur) allow this choice (make a http request to a given web url). Little development expected, I think. This assumes that there exists a web search engine that indexes the content of gnunet and restore via the classic web. This is the "Search Indexer WebService for GNUnet". More development expected.

-----------
What I want to do:

As a Java developer, I'm interested in the design of such service, I don't ask for help in development (I don't refuse).

Result:

This enabled GNUnet open to the public, and beginners, who came from the web. This doesn't alter the GNUnet core, and doesn't affect the safety or anonymity of classic research for those who wish.

Feedback Wanted :

Do you find this interesting? Are you to promote this type of service or are you against it?
It feasibility in your opinion? What problems will I encounter?
Do you have any suggestions, ideas, advice?
Do I need to extend this service to other service that the file-sharing, for example for GNS?

P.S : sorry for my bad english ;)