Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:53:42 +0100

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 01:04:01PM +0200, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Why are you specifying it to HTTP-based at all?

Are all browsers able to use localhost bus solutions and sockets?

> I believe a *re-usable* JSON-RPC, which could either be accessed via
> HTTP but just as well using a local socket or existing message-passing
> systems like ubus, dbus, ... would be better and avoid duplicate work.

Great. We already have an extensive jspsyc library that we used in
the psyczilla add-on for mozilla. It uses native sockets.

> Generally sounds great, but as PSYC is real-time only, what if the

Huh! Where did you read that? Would I suggest to use PSYC as a mail
system if this was true?

> node on the other side is currently offline? Eg. I generally like
> to have everything turned-off while I'm sleeping, safe energy and
> bandwidth in hours where it obviously can only harm (ie. disturb
> my sleep with blinkenlights or harddrive noises). However, people
> do send emails to me while I'm sleeping and I do appreciate to
> receive them (once I'm awake). Correct me if I'm missing something, but
> to me it seems as this cannot be achieved with PSYC, right?

The question is answered on http://secushare.org/architecture
The answer is, yes. PSYC can.