Re: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework

From: hyazinthe
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 13:25:51 +0200

Hello,

seeing the logo, this network forming the silouette of a gnu, sparked
excitement in me.
This is an improvement to the current logo. And it motivated me to
play a little bit around with its relationship to added writing. Here's the
result:
https://abload.de/img/gnunetlogo-sketchesk5u5g.png

My initial impulse to start this was, that I didn't like how the writing was
designed in relationship to the logo: The serifs made the writing appear so
antiquated. And that's exactly not what the project needs. The project needs
refreshment. A timeless, modern, slick look, a look mirroring what the GNUnet
is: Hot shit. Additionally it was inappropriate: Serifs have a function. They
make it easier to read huge masses of text. That's why books, especially
romans, are using typos with serifs.
But what we have here is not a book. It's an image with maybe 1 word under it.
So, no need for applying this function.
Additionally, when the logo is very small, the serifs of the writing below the
logo are just unnecessary shape vanishing or blurring in the eye of the
beholder.
Second point:  A big competition for attention arises between the logo and the
writing.
The gnu silouette form of the logo and the horizontal form of the writing are
next to each other like 2 foreign objects. They have nothing to do with each
other. They do nothing with each other. They are ignoring each other.
Additionally, the difference between the white and the colors of the logo
including the black background made the writing so loud.

Well, and with this starting point, I've made a 1st variation:
Simply changing typo: Switching over to using typo's variation without serifs -
GNU FreeFont, which is licensed with GPLv3orlater by itself -
https://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/index.html . This aspect has it's charme,
it additionally mirrors the spirit of the GNUnet. And I kind of liked the
outcome. It improved some of the mentioned aspects. But not all. It was still
loud.

So I've made variations 2 and 3, both aiming at dimming the writing down,
harmonizing image and writing more. It was kind of nice. Both prefereable to
variation 1, if you ask me, but I quickly went over to something I was more
excited about: Doing a variation 4, a variation based on 2 intuitive sketches
I've made right away after reading this thread: Transforming the horizontal
form of the writing into a T-form, which is like the space form of the gnu
silouette form of the logo, and putting the writing into the logo.
The charme of it was that it mirrors the image in its double meaning and
additionally is efficient by saving a letter without losing completeness.
It was surprising to me, that the outcome was a typical example of 'nice in the
head, but not so nice in real life'. The T-space in the logo is relatively
small, so you have to scale down the size of the writing. And that to a degree
making the outcome too small and puzzle like for practice.

This complete outcome up to this point lead me to variation 5, which is my
final logo recommendation: Just use the image, and that's it. Let it speak for
itself, because it can. Leave the writing under it away.
Not only is that the best solution to the mentioned points, it's also something
which can be pulled thanks to 2 things: Firstly, how self-explanatory the logo
as such is, and secondly, the environment in which the logo is faced in general.
The name of the GNUnet project consists of 2 parts: GNU and net.
Both motives are perfectly blended in the logo. You have a network, and this
forms the silouette of a gnu. You don't need prior knowledge to understand it.
You don't need to speak a certain language to understand it. It's acultural,
it's self-explanatory.
And it shows what the project does: Networking. But you do need prior knowledge
to get what that gnu is all about. But the same applies to the writing
'GNUnet': You can have it written down letter by letter, but if people don't
know that GNU stands for the free software movement and what's that all about,
then they don't understand the writing, either. So, no point of difference
regarding this aspect between image and writing.
In addition to that, in what context, in what environment, the logo appears
most of the time? We look at a screen, seeing it in logical connection and
close to something, which contains the writing 'GNU'. Maybe it's the URL in the
address bar, or the hashtag of a social media message, or a keyword within a
text the GNUnet website or gnu.org.

Feedback regarding the website:
The website has to get more to the point, and the design has to support that by
how it divides spaces and shapes them with colors, images, and writings. If you
want to place 5 bullet points, you better take the whole white space, and
devide it into 5 parts, each designed differently custom made, individual and
tasty just for that one bullet point they are supposed to introduce.
Additionally, you want to keep up interest of the audience through the whole
site, instead of welcoming them with a structure, saying that 67% of the
website is not of interest for them and that they're better off with focusing
their attention to this one third, which is targeted specifically to them. The
content, the bullet points, have to be in the center of attention, not a meta
structure sorting the audience into 3 different groups.
Of course, certain aspects of the GNUnet are more attractive to a certain group
than others, but there are ways to generalize those points to such a degree,
that they're also better accessible to other groups. At least to such a degree
that they understand the value of those points.
A very good reference for all of this is this website: https://www.zeronet.io/en
The only problem with that is that it's kind of like a visiting card.
Another reference, which is good, is this website: https://freifunk.net/en/
Additionally, what the second website makes better than the first reference, is
that it's not just a visiting card. It strongly interacts with the audience. It
gives impulse to click on videos, zoom into maps dynamically displaying what's
going on in the free wireless network that this project Freifunk is all about.

One last word to the topic 'website text':
'ethical internet' ? Good intentions, but too vague. At the bottom GNUnet has 2
values:
empathy and emancipation - it embodies empathy to help other people, and it
embodies emancipation by facilitating freedom/liberty, it embodies emancipation
to help other people living their lives in freedom. If values are put into the
center of attention, the best thing one can do to be understood and help the
values as such is naming them explicitely and concretely.
I think it's a very good idea to mention the values of the GNUnet, because it
helps people without technical understanding to understand what drives the
GNUnet. But then at least additionally some technical key features, bullet
points, should be dropped: Things like 'distributed', 'anonymous P2P',
'Filesharing', 'creating a anonymous and distributed replacement for the old
insecure Internet' - it's just something early adopters expect to be faced
with, are looking for, and get very attentive and attracted to.
It's okay, if these drops are pretty bold and ambitious, because they make
clear what the project strives for to be or become, and that attracts people
who want the same, building up momentum into the desired direction of the
project.

Greetings,
Bastian Schmidt