Re: bundlelisation of the backend

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: bundlelisation of the backend
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 05:58:40 +0100

On Tuesday, March 27, 2001, at 12:04 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> I have some problems with headers of AppKit. I need some typedef in a
> header that are define in a header that need the current header. (If
> you see what I mean). I think it's good to have a very simple header
> that could be named AppKit/type.h that will define the simple types like
>
> typedef int NSWindowDepth;
>
> Otherwise, I have problems to bootstrap the defs. Tell me if it is the
> wrong way to do.

Generally, I'd try to avoid introducing new files if possible, and I also
try (very hard) to make sure that things are declared in the same headers
that MacOS-X uses (to support source-code compatibility).

In this case, MacOS-X declares the NSWindowDepth typedef in NSGraphics.h
so I'd try to stick to that.

Can you organise things so that the file you are including in NSGraphics.h
does not need to include NSGraphics.h?   ie. include it at a point where
everything it depends on has already been declared?

Alternatively, can you move this typedef to the file that is being included
in NSGraphics.h?

Creating a new file would be my third or fourth choice, fighting it out with
the nasty hack of putting the typedef in NSGraphics.h but outside the
ifndef __NSGraphics_h__
(protected by it's own bit of preprocessor condition of course)