Re: Question about image caching and background color

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Question about image caching and background color
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:42:43 +0000

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 05:18 PM, Adam Fedor wrote:

Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:

(A) fix the method in NSImage by drawing the background
(B) Put the background in the cached image.

I think the background is part of the cached image, but it should be drawn when the image is cached. Is that not happening now or do I misunderstand something?

Oops ... I intended to reply to the original email but forgot.

I thought the idea of the image cache was that you would cache an image with a particular background to avoid needing to re-combine image and background later. If you are going to redraw the background every time you draw the image anyway, I'm not sure what the point of
the caching is.

However, I never played with NeXT graphics, so I may be misunderstanding the image cache thing. When I worked on the GNUstep code, my primary purpose was to make the drawing code fast enough t be usable ... that may have blinded me to other more important long
term considerations.