Re: GNUstep make problem packaging a framework

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: GNUstep make problem packaging a framework
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:14:28 +0100

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Nicola Pero  wrote:

> In general, I like the idea that all what is needed to use the framework
> is inside the framework directory ... it's a bit of a hack that you need
> symlinks from outside to be able to use the framework.  Apple has a
> -Framework option built in their linker I think to specify frameworks to
> use - we can probably do with a xxx_FRAMEWORKS option to gnustep-make and
> gnustep-make will process that option, adding the appropriate -L -I -l to
> use the framework(s) - in a certain sense, emulating what apple's linker
> does.

NeXT used -F <framework path> and -framework <name> for the linker
and we could emulate this in gnustep-make or use xxx_FRAMEWORKS...

> > If I understand correctly you would move symlinks in other dirs. Is it
> > right ?
>
> No - I've thought more about it and changed my mind - my intention now is
> to remove the symlinks completely.  That would simplify creation and

I think there are a bit of problems doing this... it will be good be we need
support
by the os...

> To link against a framework, instead of adding -lMyFramework on the
> compiler command line, you will add
>
> MyTool_FRAMEWORKS = MyFramework

Ok.

-L/home/nicola/GNUstep/Library/Frameworks/MyFramework.framework/Versions/Current/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu
[...]
> and -lMyFramework (and -I options, but I'll discuss about it later).  A
> further improvement might actually check where the framework is on disk,
> and add just a single -L - to the location of the framework on disk.  I'm

Adding a dir for every framework could not cause a 'command line too long'
error ?

> I've already done this and it works fine and I think it's quite better.

Does it work with the standard LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?
It's probably that some OSs stores library path in the exe but I don't think
all the linker/OSs does this. This could be a problem.

> My question is - would it be ok to modify the framework directory so that
> headers are installed as in
> MyFramework.framework/Versions/A/Headers/MyFramework/A.h

Hmmm... I think it's ok.

---
Bye,
     Mirko  <address@hidden>   (NeXTmail, MIME)