Re: Window decorations

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Window decorations
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:03:18 +0200

"Chris B. Vetter" wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 21:30:24 +0200
> Alexander Malmberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Currently, window decorations (title bar, resize bar, stuff like that)
> > is handled by the windowing system GNUstep is running on. However, for
> > some backends (eg. most rds-based stuff) it makes more sense to let
> > GNUstep draw them itself, and in that case, it makes sense to let
> > NSWindow handle it. That way we'll get consistent look and behavior on
> > all such backends (and it makes implementing them a lot easier :).
>
> I smell themes ...

I didn't think of this, but yes, this does make it possible to theme
window decorations with standard theme bundles. (And in fact, I think
I'll try to implement this in a way that makes it easy to do, to show
how that can be done.)

[snip]
> Don't want to start a flamewar on Window Managers again, but why not
> go all the way and have a WM "inside" GNUstep?
> Looking at GSDisplayServer's description, it (nearly) has everything
> needed...

Well, *Step windows don't really need managing, they can manage
themselves. However, we might not have the option of doing it ourselves,
so we still need to handle the case where something manages them for us.

- Alexander Malmberg