RE: InterfaceWM + GNUstep applications

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: InterfaceWM + GNUstep applications
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:25:44 +0000 (GMT)

> adam,
>
>   i spoke with richard privately & told him i'd look into this and start
> submitting patches as soon as i could - but with the amount of work i'm
> putting into iwm at the moment, it would be great if someone else tried to
> tackle the EWMH issue too.
>
>   just let me know if you need anything from me.

IMO compatibility with other window manager it's sort of quite top
priority for GNUstep as a whole.

Many GNU/linux people just run their linux machines with KDE/GNOME/XXX.

>From time to time, they might try out a GNUstep application (GNUmail, or
gworkspace, or Gorm, or any of all those nifty music/ftp/irc/game/xxx apps
out there).

If the application doesn't look usable because menus randomly
appear/disappear, windows rush out of focus unexpectedly, etc, they just
get annoyed and look at something else.

We want to prevent this from happening :-)

It's sort of essential to attract new users that when non-GNUstep-aware
users try GNUstep applications on whatever window manager they are using
at the moment, the applications work and look usable and convincing, and
they feel they like them and want to know more about the environment ...
:-)

So, if you are getting expertise in the area of window managers, please
consider seriously helping in this area (standard EMWH hints, focus,
compatibility with window managers etc)!

I did some work on window manager hints in the past, but I don't have time
to work on/follow everything. :-)