Re: GDL2 - TODO needs to be updated

From: Mirko Viviani
Subject: Re: GDL2 - TODO needs to be updated
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:29:55 -0000

Stéphane Corthésy <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> The TODO file needs deep update, doesn't it?

Yes.

> I've compared the current GDL2 API with Apple's and made a rather
> exhaustive comparison. It seems the the main lacks are entity
> inheritance, events, sharedEC, snapshot timestamping, deferred
> faulting, prototypes, EOInterface. Can others confirm this?

Yes, these are the features to implement.

> X Take care of using 'volatile' for local vars which are modified in
> NS_DURING and read in NS_HANDLER

What do you mean exactly with that?

> - Avoid autoreleased objects (OK Markus, this will be done later ;-)

Do you mean to use retain/release for objects used locally?

If this is the point we could wait until performances are really important.
Actually is better to clean up the code.

> In EOControl:
> X Replace EOUndoManager use (deprecated) with NSUndoManager
> - Superclass of EOClassDescription must be now NSClassDescription, at
> least on MacOS X

I like to maintain (as Dave said) compatibility with older version of OS.

> - Misses many (all?) methods defined in EOFoundationExtras.h

I don't know what is this... it seems not documented, isn't it?

> (- Replace EONull with NSNull; NSNull exists, so EONull has no sense
> --- Not possible, because may miss NSNull)

In fact, not possible. Keep portability.

> ivars are different
> - Misses _currentEditCtxTimestamp
> - Misses _uniqueTable, _deleteTable, _reserved, _reserved2,
> _uniqueArrayTable, _missingObjectGIDs ,

Ivar are not important to me, I don't want to copy their implementation.
Are they really useful?

> BTW, some people asked me how stable and functional GDL2 is, and how
> possible would it be to port applications written for Apple's EOF to
> GDL2 (based on OSX currently, but maybe fully ported on GNUStep). Can
> we get opinions from its main developers? What is the state of GDL2?

Good point, I actually don't use it in production but for implemented
features it seems to me quite stable.

Actually I think is not fully useable for porting app from OSX EOF if these
apps uses advanced features of EOF like the ones you mentioned at the
beginning of the this message, but most of them are quite trivial to
implement. (events, snapshot timestamping, prototypes should be simple things
to do. Inheritance it does not seem so)

I've not checked recently the undo part of EC, and the different configuration
of the EC (parallel, cascade) so I don't know what work or not.

> One last thing. EOInterface. I've heard rumors that some developers,
> who have rewritten something similar, would "give" it to GDL2. Some
> hope in there, or should we think about rewriting it?

I don't know of that but some time ago I've started implementing it.

--
Ciao
Mirko