Re: RFC: Framework support in -make

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: RFC: Framework support in -make
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:19:50 +0200

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
But normally RPM do not install stuff in your own home directory - they
install systemwide! :-)

Ok, that is the case for RPM,

RPM is in no way bound to a fixed directory. You can install packages in different locations using --prefix and you can even have a completly separate RPM database (eg in your home directory).

We use that quite often to host multiple but completly separate server installations on a single host without the requirement to resort to vserver or similiar techniques.
It's a huge advantage that gstep-make apps are so much position independend.

Personally I have about three different RPM database running on my dev system in home directories to do some testing.

regards,
  Helge Hess
Helge Hess                         Email:    address@hidden
SKYRIX Software AG                 Tel:      +49-391-6623-0
Universitaetsplatz 12              Fax:      +49-391-6623-599
39104 Magdeburg, Germany           Internet: http://www.skyrix.com
Exchange your Exchange                http://developer.skyrix.com/