Re: Methods as dictionary keys using invocation

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Methods as dictionary keys using invocation
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:14:11 +0200

On 2003-07-06 19:27:29 +0200 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,

I have an object (prototype) containing a dictionary. I want to access keys in
that dictionary using messages. So if i do:
      [proto someKey];
it is analogous to:
      [[proto dictionary] objectForKey:@"someKey"];

However, this used to work some time ago, but now I am getting:
      vacall: va_start type 6 and va_return type 14 disagree.

Try commenting out the call to gs_find_best_typed_sel() in
gs_objc_msg_forward() in GSFFCallInvocation.m

thanks very much, it helped. can this be fixed on CVS?

Ideally, the runtime should be passing gs_objc_msg_forward() the correct type
information.
As the objc runtime doesn't necessarily do so, the gs_find_best_typed_sel()
guesses,
and is probably guessing wrong.
I don't know whether it's generally better to guess or not ... the ideal
solution is to modify
gcc, but that's not going to happen fast.

I think, all requirements for the Objective-C compiler and runtime should  be
collected somewhere, even those small or 'stupid-from-some-point-of-view' ones
for further consideration. The reason is, that gnustep/objective-c programmers
are adapting to old objective-c, however requirements grow. I do not say that
all things should be imlpemented, but i would like to suggest, that objective-c
should be revisited by removing obsolete and unused functionality and adding
new required functionality.

What do you think about such collection of objective c requirements? Who can
make such collection/specification better than active objective-c users?

Stefan