Re: GCC Framework support in Linux (fwd)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: GCC Framework support in Linux (fwd)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:24:28 +0200

Hi gnustep developers,

Because I am not core gnustep developer, I am forwarding this email to this dev
list for more skilled people that should know more about the issue. The reason
for leaving the gcc list for now from this thread is, that i would like to
suggest to discuss an interface 'we' - gnustep users, would like to have in GCC
for frameworks before we let 'them' (GCC people) know about it. However, if you
think that the thread should be interesting also to gcc lists, then crosspost
it.

Pershaps we should begin with explicitly answering few, even some of them with
obvious answers, questions:

1. What are the differences between GNUstep and Applie framework structure?
2. How to find a binary or headers in a framework?
3. What are the differences for standard framework locations in GNUstep and
Apple?
4. How to specify frameworks and their locations? (-f -F)
5. How to tell gcc which GNUstep combo to use for searching executable? (if it
is necessary at all)
6. ...

I think, by providing answers for such and similar questions we can came up
with complete specification that we can offer to the gcc list to start
discussion about incorporating/retaining framework support for non-osx
environments. The seems to be already there, but it is not used out of osx.

I understand, that the issue is not as simple as it seems to be, however, we
should at least try. So here I would like to ask core gnustep developers for a
few words, if they have some time. (Unfortunately, Nicola is out of town at
this time). Perhaps we should make it into gcc 3.4,  if we are lucky :)

Forwerded is the messge from Neil Booth (same as was seen on discuss-gnustep,
where the discussion probably does not belong).

Best regards,

Stefan Urbanek

p.s.: if you really think that this thread can be shared with gcc list, then do
share it. i was not sure.