Re: bug #13183

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: bug #13183
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 12:16:25 +0200

Hey all,

I submitted that bug.
On Sunday, June 5, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I don't really know how to deal with this cygwin bug ... If I use windows I use mingw rather than cygwin as I consider it by far the better way to go ... licensing means people could actually deploy proprietory GNUstep apps with mingw where they can's using cygwin, and the mingw approach of using the native api means the code can be a lot more efficient and we avoid the extra layer of code where things can go wrong.

well, I know, but cygwin is quite widespread. In my case I had it on the computers in the research lab and I gave gnustep a spin, it would have been fun to have my standard gnustep tools under windows... To be really honest, I have never seen minigw "with shell", some use it because it ships as a library with some rporgam, but really most people I know use cygwin. Many commercial laboratory tools (typically those which have a unix counterpart) use cygwin and in most labs were the unix env. is big, there is cygwin because it is "just more unix". Using X11 and typical libraries most programs really recompile in a breeze and blend with unix tools exported from say a solaris system very well.
It might be worth to support both.

Unfortunately the minigw inside cygwin isn't a good solution (even while passing the correct flags to gcc) since the environment is still recognized by configure as a cygwin system.

Of course, I may be completely wrong, and someone may be looking into this, but if not, it's a bug report which could hang around for ages simply because it's specific tio an unsupported platform ... and that looks bad.

Not me sorry, my windows knowledge is = 0.0. I just wanted to give it a spin on the environment I had available and I reported the problem to share my experience, maybe there are other cygwin users out there. I could have used the environment myself and I would have tested my own programs there but every fix which touches the window guts is far beyond my knowledge. That -base doesn't even link is a bit bad.

Thus the future of gnustep on cygwin is uncertain, you may close the bug if you are concerned with it sticking around... but there are many others who hang there since ever, so I wouldn't worry.

Cheers,
   Riccardo