Re: Key-Value Observing implementation

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Key-Value Observing implementation
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:16:10 +0100

On 2005-06-18 04:19:02 +0100 Gregory John Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sa¹o,
>
> --- Sa¹o Kiselkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi. I'm working on a CoreData implementation for GNUstep, but that depends
>> on
>> the Key-Value Observing feature. Is somebody already working on it, or may I
>> start it?
>
> I may not be starting on this right away and I don't want to hold you up.   If
> you are ready to start, please go ahead and implement whatever you feel you
> need to.

Sounds like my partial implementation is the most advanced code we have at
present then.
I could commit it to CVS as a work in progress, or provide it in some other way
if it's needed.

It implements all the trickier parts of KVO, but misses out all the boring
details :-)

The implementation is not as described in the page I put on the wiki ... after
I wrote that I came to the conclusion that the method using a proxy would be
too slow and inefficient, so what I actually wrote was code to use the runtime
to create an observer subclass for each class being observed, and change the
isa ivar of any observed object to point to that subclass, which could handle
the observatiuon process, but perform all other methods at the same speed as
the original.