Re: Problems with automatic start of gdnc, gpbs, and gdomap on Linux...

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Problems with automatic start of gdnc, gpbs, and gdomap on Linux...
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:09:23 +0100

On 1/29/06, Riccardo <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Monday, January 23, 2006, at 03:52 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
> > The subject basically says it. When I log in, it's reporting that it
> > had trouble starting gdnc. Is anyone else having this problem?
[...]
> On other platforms, most notably BSD based ones, there are heavy
> troubles starting things automatically. Since I have now a NetBSD/x86
> box I can exclude also "exotic" architectural problems. I confirm that
> on netbsd I need to start gdomap first, gdnc then. gpbs and others gets
> started fine. INterestingly, if gdnc is started automatically by an
> application it does start (as seen with ps -aux) but it doesn't seem to
> work and the application complains it can't contact gdnc.

On FreeBSD, I start gdomap when the system boots up. When I log in and
fire up X11 (currently no xdm or similar) I start gdnc and gpbs in
~/.xinitrc Though gdnc is complaining about not being able to contact
gdomap, everything is working fine.

OTOH, occasionally, I stop all GNUstep-related tools (usually when
updating GNUstep) and forget to re-launch'em again. But once I fire up
any GNUstep application (Gorm most notably) all required tools are
automatically started without any problems or messages (except those
that they ARE being started).

--
Chris