Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:32:57 -0800 (PST)

--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2006, at 22:30, Riccardo wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >

> > On Sunday, February 19, 2006, at 06:27 AM, Andrew
> Ruder wrote:
>
> Jeremy Cowgar said that he had problems because the
> base library
> creates/uses a user defaults database, and he didn't
> want it doing
> that... so I spent a little while making that
> behavior optional ...
> and you can pick up the new version from svn.
>
> Setting the config value
> 'GNUSTEP_USER_DEFAULTS_DIR=:INTERNAL:' will
> tell it not to use the external defaults database
> while keeping all
> the rest of the defaults functionality intact.

why not just have it instead of having to setup a
config entry just not have it create the defaults
database until something is written to defaults then
if his program doesn't use it, it won't ever be
created?

note the defaults creation also has/had the side
effect of creating the defaults database during make
when running plmerge etc, and its generally not
expected make will create things outside of the build
dir and is disallowed on certain dists like gentoo...

on the whole split proposal though,

theres also NSProcessInfo which requires /proc or a
specificially built gnustep-base with the user_main
hack, making it impossible to use base in an init
system without hard coding the mounting of /proc....
though this isn't really a generic issue, and Andy
didn't mention NSProcessInfo being one of the level 2
classes.