Re: SystemPreferences

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: SystemPreferences
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:55:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dennis,

not sure if this is similar to what Chris had in mind
though i'll throw in my opinions

I would say /{System,Local}/Library/<AppName>/
though it is probably better suited to the
ApplicationSupport/<AppName> given the current file
system layout

(though IMHO Library/ is what ApplicationSupport/ and
the stuff in Library/ currently should be in
Library/GNUstep or something for local root and just
Library/ for system root possibly, this is a whole
other conversation though)

the problem with Library/Bundles is its a catch all
which contains a bunch of completely unrelated things

i've forever been in favor of removing Bundles/
altogether though probably not vocal about it

so no not /System/Library/Inspectors

/System/Library/Foo/Inspectors/
/System/Library/Bar/Inspectors/

so each app would be in charge of its own heirarchy in
the Library dir and not dependent the correct
Library/<SomeTypeOfBundle> existing

though again IMHO this should be relegated to third
party stuff, and stuff which is required/default
mostly belong in the app's resources itself to allow
for the mythical cp -r/drag and drop installation

otherwise if we have something like

/System/Library/Applications/Foo.app
/System/Library/Bundles/SomeFoo.bundle
/System/Library/Bundles/FooExample.bundle
/System/Library/Documentation/Foo/

we just have a normal unix heirarchy with a bunch of
capital letters and stuff, (things from the same
components split into many places)

where we're kindof going for
Foo.app
Foo.app/Resources/SomeFoo.bundle

and copy Foo.app to Library/Applications

Foo/FooExample.bundle
Foo/Documentation/
and optionally Foo/ to Library/

or something