Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r24007 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSDragVi

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r24007 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSDragView.m Source/NSCell.m Source/NSTableView.m
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:41:17 -0800 (PST)

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep?rev=24007&view=rev
> > Log:
> >         * Source/NSTableView.m: Add new private
> methods.
> >         (-mouseDown:): Reorganize and don't track
> cells until dragging
> >         has been ruled out.
> >         * Source/NSCell.m
> (trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:):
> >         Handle events no longer in the queue.
> >         * Source/GSDragView.m: Change NSLog to
> NSDebugLLog.
> >

> Hi Matt,
>
> first of all, thank you for doing all this great
> work in cleaning up the
> behaviour of NSTableView. This is a very complex
> class and it is so
> unbelievable hard to get things right there.
> A few comments to this specific change.
>
> - It looks like you are not using the standard
> GNUstep formatting rules.
> I must admit that I am not following them all the
> time, but the way you
> place your blanks or rather leave them out, should
> be adopted to the to
> be more readable. One space character after a colon
> should be used :-)

ahh, yeah, i really can't stand that way of doing
method names, as my brain always interprets
[scrooge bah: humbug] as multiple methods with no
arguments I find it much easier/quicker to distinguish
the argument from the method name, anyhow... ok, its
the law i guess :(

> - The new method _startDragOperationWithEvent:
> should pass on the offset
> for the dragging and not mix this with the start
> position.

ok, i noticed this too but wasn't sure

> - In the new tracking method, we only check if the
> column is editable,
> shouldn't we use the method that checks for the cell
> to be editable?
> (BTW in this the comments are still wrong)

ahh hm, i'm not sure, I didn't think so because we are
calling trackMouse... this might not cause any editing
it could be

for instance
in the -willDisplayCell:... you could set the cells
target/action, based on some criteria and the cell is
never edited actually.

based on some criteria and tracking the mouse sends
the action, no editing involved,

then it checks if theres any change in the cells
object value.

i consider -isEditable: only useful for
-editWithFrame: and possibly a cell classes internal
usage in trackMouse:

> - A bit more comments in the mouseDown: method would
> be helpful. This is
> so complex and there are so many different things we
> tried before, that
> we really need to explain what is happening and why.
> I still don't
> understand if the dragging is stealing events from
> the tracking or the
> other way around or even both may happen.

only if dragging is enabled, the dragging code
is stealing events, and then sending events which
happened in the past to NSCell.

> You see, this are less things that are wrong, but
> rather stuff that
> needs to be clearer to guarantee that the progress
> you are making here
> will last.

indeed