Re: Win32 Text Rendering

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Win32 Text Rendering
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 05:42:40 +0000

On 8 Feb 2007, at 08:52, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

Hi all

I'm currently running GNUstep SVN on Windows. I'm experiencing very
unusual text rendering, where it appears strings are being rendered with
giant spaces in them (about 5-10 characters wide).  It seems these
spaces are inserted at about the 16th character in each string. They
also make the dialog or view they are in bigger than usual.

This sounds like the recent advancementForGlyph bug already raised in the discussion list and fixed. I think it occurs because the gui sends blocks of 16 characters to the backend to be drawn, then calculates the position of the next block based on individual character advancements. So if there is any discrepency between the way the backend renders a string and the advancements reported for each character in the string, it appears in the form of gaps between or overlap of blocks of 16 characters.