Re: Crash with new-style exceptions on FreeBSD amd64

From: Michael Gardner
Subject: Re: Crash with new-style exceptions on FreeBSD amd64
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 04:00:37 -0500

Thanks to everybody for your help.

On 3/17/07, Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:
That's brilliant ... I added --shared-libgcc (on all platforms) to the
linking stage when
native ObjC exceptions are enabled. :-)

Hopefully that fixes it ... Michael, any chances you could try it out with
gnustep-make from trunk to see if it's fixed now ? :-)

That might be difficult since my GNUstep installation is managed by
the ports system, which tracks releases rather than the trunk. Is
there a way to get two versions of GNUstep to coexist peacefully on
the same system?

Also, regarding the problem configuring gnustep-make with
--enable-native-objc-exceptions: I emailed the port's maintainer, and
he mentioned that he got the same result on his FreeBSD system. It
looks like a gcc bug to me, but can anyone confirm it on a non-FreeBSD
OS? Specifically, if you look at the output of ldd for a binary
compiled from a .c file using '-x objective-c', libgcc is listed after
libc. But if you rename the same file with a .m extension and compile
it without the -x option, libgcc is listed before libc.

-Michael