Re: problems compiling NSAnimation.m

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: problems compiling NSAnimation.m
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:51:55 +0100

On 10 May 2007, at 16:23, Xavier Glattard wrote:

Nicola Pero <nicola.pero <at> meta-innovation.com> writes:

(...)
very confusing, because when the second declaration of c is reached,
you need to be a C standard lawyer to know what happens

Yes, but only a C-riminal would do such a thing ;-)

(...)
What about adding a macro

_NSANIMATION_SETUP

That sounds good and elegant. But IMHO it would be far easier
to DELETE any reference to __gs_isLocked and only test _isThreaded.

Unless someone can explain why i wrote such a piece of code... ;-)

I thought it was to check for unbalanced lock/unclock sequences.

I grabbed GSTest from svn, and after fixing it to install the animation tests properly, I ran them.
It crashed with my version of the code.
It also crashed with the version from yesterday (before I made any changes).

So to simplify, I removed all the code to try and optimise for unthreaded operation, and was able to get the test working.

Maybe it's worth re-introducing the optimisation to avoid locking when not using threads, but that's tricky to get right (especially if there is any possibility of the threading mode changing while an animation is in progress). Is the locking really a major overhead, or would it be better to keep the code simple?