Re: Fwd: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: Fwd: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:53:56 -0400

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:40:34 -0700, "Matt Rice" <address@hidden> said:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I am still not sure whether this problem actually exists. As far as I
>> understand the GPL it only transfers to libraries that are statically
>> linked to it. GNUstep base, gui and back (normally) get linked
>> dynamically and to my understanding this should not cause any
>> problem. But I surely am no expert on this matter.

>  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

>  "If the program uses fork and exec to invoke plug-ins, then the
> plug-ins are separate programs, so the license for the main program
> makes no requirements for them."

Yup, and the next paragraph:

"If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls
to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single
program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program
and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL
or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL
must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed."

Hubert