Re: Installation woes for the average user...

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Installation woes for the average user...
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:35:55 -0600

I thought that's what GNUstep-startup was supposed to be used for?  I've personally never used it, but the way I understand it all you need to do is "./InstallGNUstep", right?

In my opinion, it's more important to have up-to-date packages than anything else, however, one needs to keep in mind that most distributions do not follow the latest and greatest.  I, for example, use Debian Testing + GNOME most of the time and I know I will never have the latest release of packages, people need to realize this.  Tell you the truth, except for when I create GNUstep packages and build scripts for Slackware, I never compile a single piece of software.  Why is it different with GNUstep?  Why do people WANT to compile in the first place?

If I can rant a little... GNUstep also gets way behind when it comes to releases.  How long has it been since the last collective release?  Why isn't GNUstep releasing more stable releases?  It seems everytime a new release of the core packages are out I need to recompile everything because it breaks ABI.  Rarely do I see a x.x.1 release.

I've been wanting to bring that up for a while, figured this was as a good a time as any.

Stefan