Re: Installation woes for the average user...

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Installation woes for the average user...
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:41:14 -0800 (PST)

> My guess is, GNUstep developers are just used to compile GNUstep. Once everything is in place, it's
> actually easier to type a "svn update && make && make install" than to watch <your favorite package
> manager> which version is currently in place. If you want to test or maintain local patches, working
> with packages starts to become complicated.

Yes, this is definitely the case for developers.  GNUstep improves daily, so it's best to keep up to date with it.  Source is the easiest way to do that.   For the average user who just wants to use some apps... it's a bit different.   They want to be able to easily install.  I can completely understand that.   I think we need to start approaching the major Linux distros to see if we can get into them.  I will start talking to Greg DeKoenigsberg about getting us into Redhat/Fedora.

> While all this is true for GNUsteppers, users of GNUstep (= application developers) would really
> benefit from weekly (daily?) updated packages, IMHO.

I agree.  I believe we do have a target in the makefile for this.  It would be useful if the daily snapshot would produce these and upload them to the FTP site... I'm not sure if it does this already, but if it doesn't perhaps it should.

Later, GC

Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer

Am 05.03.2009 um 14:35 schrieb Stefan Bidigaray:

> Why do people WANT to compile in the first place?

My guess is, GNUstep developers are just used to compile GNUstep. Once everything is in place, it's actually easier to type a "svn update && make && make install" than to watch <your favorite package manager> which version is currently in place. If you want to test or maintain local patches, working with packages starts to become complicated.

While all this is true for GNUsteppers, users of GNUstep (= application developers) would really benefit from weekly (daily?) updated packages, IMHO.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/