Re: RFA: patches

From: Thomas Gamper
Subject: Re: RFA: patches
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 00:17:04 +0100

Hi!

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

On 7 Mar 2009, at 11:02, address@hidden wrote:

Hi!

This is just a heads-up for my patches, since I don' want to commit them without your feedback.

1. I implemented key repeat support for keyboard events in GServerEvent
2. I implemented mouse position setting support in GSDisplayServer and XGServerWindow. I really need that feature in any serious OpenGL application. 3. I did some NSOpenGL improvements, like multisampling support. I think I should coordinate my work there with Xavier and Matt.

I know nothing about OpenGL stuff, and the little I could find about setting the mouse position in Cocoa says 'don't do it', but assuming there is good reason for adding that capability, I have one comment ...
Yeah, Cocoa is not able to set mouse cursor position. You need to use some low level quartz call on OS X for doing that. As a short explanation why I need this feature: Basically I implement a first person view camera (classical First Person Shooter Camera), so everytime the mouse cursor gets near the window border I have to set it to the center again. Every FPS Camera works this way, you have to do the same on Windows, there's no way around it. This brings me to your next comment

You really need to provide an implementation for mswindows as well as for gnu/linux. This is really essential for writing portable applications ... it's a really good discipline to ensure that any code which works on gnu/linux works on mswindows too.
Okay, I will try to get gnustep trunk running on Windows. Is there some tutorial in the wiki or somewhere else how to do that?

One question : don't you think [+glxMinorVersion] should be in XGServer?
I really don't know. I wanted to have it right with the OpenGL stuff, but I wasn't sure myself where to put it. Maybe Fred could give me a hint :)

- Your mouse positioning in back works in windows coordinates. The
mouselocation method works in screen coordinates and I would expect this
method to work similar.
I will fix that.
- Your code for repeat keys will report the first press of a key as
repeat. I would expect the first one not to be a repeat, but all the
following events should report the same key as a repeat.
Oops..
- You removed some protection for redefines of id and BOOL when
importing glx.h. Are you sure these aren't needed any more on all platforms?
Okay, I'll put them back in. Looks like I removed the accidentally while merging my local changes with Xaviers.

Thanks
TOM