Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:47:17 +0100

Adam Fedor a écrit :

On Mar 12, 2009, at 7:14 AM, Xavier Glattard wrote:

Huh... I can't : the page is locked. What do I need to do ?
Or maybe someone could insert the attached file... Thanks!
And please add my name in the list of mentors : Xavier Glattard

Please send a mail to webmasters AT gnustep.org with your wiki login name so that you can get write privileges.

Done, thanks :)

Also, please try to make sure any ideas are something that could easily get done by a student in a summer (so, perhaps, it is something you could do in a month of work).

Then I have to forget half of my ideas : in most case I'm not sure of anything. Some ports might look easy (small apps), but will involve a lot of CF conversion. I agree : some of my suggested projects might be huge for one student. But for 2 ? And I could keep on the work when the summer will gone for some of these projects in which I'm interested.

I'm sure nobody could port OpenOffice in a summer. But this project might lead to some CoreFoundation compatible functions :)
Porting WebKit would also be a huge task.

Should I leave some of my ideas ? OpenOffice ? Gecko ?

Also, I hope to concentrate on ideas that would get us towards a GNUstep 1.0 release faster (i.e. fixing up the rough edges).

I work on GNUstep since months and I only start to (mis)understand some small parts. Students might be smarter than I'm, but nobody is very efficient in debugging/enhancing an unknown program.
Well, I'm not :\

- Regards
-- Xavier